Nigeria's foremost Online Energy News Platform

OML 34: 390m daily gas scuf threatened … as pipeline shutdown hits 3 days

The suspension of flow of natural gas from Oil Mining License (OML) 34 has hit three days, following the shutdown of Abura Crude Trunkline, situated at Otu-Jeremi town in Ughelli, Delta State.

The gas pipeline, which was shut down last Friday, following a breach, according to the Nigerian National Petroleum Corporation (NNPC) and local authorities, flows from Oil Mining License 34, which is owned by Nigeria Petroleum Development Co, a subsidiary of NNPC, and Nigerian company, ND Western.

OML 34 produces an average of 390 million standard cubic feet per day of gas, and 17,000 barrels per day of oil and condensates.

Gas processed from the field goes into the Escravos-Lagos pipeline, which feeds Egbin power plant, the largest in Nigeria.

The NNPC has, however, vowed to fix the ruptures on the trunkline in 72 hours. Managing Director of the corporation, Mele Kyari, who said this, according to a statement from the NNPC, disclaimed reports of explosion on the trunk line operated by the corporation.

Speaking shortly after teeing off the 2019 NNPC Upstream Golf Tournament in Benin City on Saturday, Mele Kyari described the incident as a mere rupture on one of the corporation’s pipeline, which would be fixed within three days. “It was not an explosion. It was a rupture on one of our pipelines. Our team of engineers has since moved to site. In three days, we should be able to fix it. We have since contained the spill coming out of that pipeline. There was no fire anywhere on the pipeline. So there is no cause for alarm,” Kyari stated.

The GMD, who assured that the incident would have no impact on the nation’s power supply, also called on host communities within the area to disregard the rumours and go about their normal activities.

Locals in Otu-Jeremi in Ughelli South area of Delta state reported an explosion on the pipeline, according to Reuters, though NNPC said the pipeline was shut down following a leak. Police said they were investigating the situation. Two local residents said there was an explosion.

“NPDC are saying that it was a rupture and not fire, but my men have gone there to find out,” said senior police officer in Delta state.

NNPC spokesman Ndu Ughamadu said the company had ordered the pipeline closed following a leak and that repair works had commenced.